Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Continuation On Blankets

Last night I mentioned I would explain the "Grandma Jim". It seems when I first started making blankets back before Christmas my son would give me a hard time about it. At one point after Christmas he made a comment that my two grandsons were really lucky. They had three Grandmothers. Grandma Jane (our son-in-laws mother), Grandma Mary (my wife) and Grandma Jim (meaning me). He kept calling me Grandma Jim when he would come in and I was working on a blanket. We all thought it was kind of funny and did not think much about it at first since all my blankets were gifts. Then when people started to buy them, I thought! Why Not! Grandma Jim. That is different! So Blankets by Grandma Jim sprang from a smart ass son. Thanks!

What other creations have I come up with since the start of this endeavor? Well, as I mentioned most of the stuff has been special orders. But I have several that I need to display and attempt to sell in one way or another. Two of the more colorful blankets I have made are displayed here. One we call Colorful Monsters and the other one is gumballs. My wife saw the monster material and had me get it and the tangerine reverse for it. It turned out very nice and is a nice warm blanket with some vibrant color. The gumballs blanket was fun to make too.

Gumballs with yellow reverse and Monsters with tangerine reverse. Both are available for purchase. I was so glad my wife wanted me to get the monsters material. I really like that one.

I have several plaids that I have done. Two of this really nice looking red plaid, one with a red reverse and the other with a navy reverse. And then two of a Blackwatch Plaid. These two are the softest material, and I made one with a navy reverse and one with a white reverse. Just the Navy reverse is show here along with the two nice red plaids.Another of my favorites is a different red plaid with a denim colored reverse. This is a really nice blanket and I am not sure I want to sell it, but I will of course
Red on Red Blackwatch on Navy

Red on Navy Red on Denim

One of my favorites so far is a brown plaid with a bronze reverse. It is a very warm rich feeling fleece and I really like the color of the reverse side. It is such a rich looking color.


All of the blankets I make are hand made by me in a smoke-free and pet-free environment. I work on them as I get the time in the evenings and on weekends. I use the time as a therapeutic way to relieve stress and tension after work. I does relax me, at least the cutting and tying part. Setup is a little hard on the knees, from crawling around on the floor sizing them and getting them straight and aligned. But once that is done it is all stress free and helps me relax and unwind. Plus it is fun to see them come together and like the results. I have some I really like and am quite proud of so far. .

Another colorful blanket that is perfect for young boys is a blanket made with multiple sports icons on a green background. The fleece material is called Multi Sports on Green. It is quite a striking colorful blanket for a boy room. I have actually already sold two of these and have two more to sell. They are very nice. Here are two views of these blankets. One is a full quarter fold view, and the other is a quarter fold view with the corner turned back to reveal the reverse material.



What others have I done.... well you will have to check back tomorrow or the next day after I have time to come up with another installment of, Blankets by Grandma Jim.

Grandma Jim out.




No comments:

Post a Comment